Second the Hose extension.  I bought one for my 39, and never put it on.
Sorry Rich. I did leave it with the boat. Every time I thought of doing it,
it was in the water, and I would freak out when I thought of crossthreading
that hose all the way into that convoluted space, which I couldn't even
see. Putting a nipple into threads I cannot see is what nightmares are made
of.  Below the waterline, anyways. If I *Had* done it, I would have put one
of these on the end of the hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Lubesite-205-Feeder-Grease-Oz/dp/B000CD96IM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2UH94E2OE9N3T&keywords=lubesite+grease+feeder&qid=1682090312&sprefix=lubesite%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-2

Bill Coleman

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 8:24 AM Korbey Hunt via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Thanks.  I bought a zerk fitting to add to the grease cup.  The idea of a
> hose extension is a good one.  I was thinking some shaft packing material
> might help?
>

> I dropped my rudder for repairs some 10 years ago and to my recollection,
> the 34 system does not have a lower bushing or bearing.  Rather is just a
> close tolerance fiberglass tube.  The outside of the tube is braced by
> fiberglass struts to the interior of the hull.  Top of the tube ends about
> a foot or so from underside of cockpit floor to provide space for steering
> quadrant and be well above water line.  Shaft continues up through cockpit
> floor square cast bronze fitting held in place by 4 bolts.   Fitting hole
> for rudder shaft is also close tolerance so threads for donut ride on hole
> edges.  This is the real issue as over time the threads enlarge the fitting
> hole allowing the rudder post to wobble.  Hence the solution to remove the
> fitting and insert a new bushing.
>

> On a related note, the tube should have a threaded hole for a grease cup.
> Ensure that is working so you can insert grease as part of normal
> maintenance.  I replace the cup with a hydraulic hose with fittings so I
> could insert grease from the locker and not have to crawl back there
>

> Best of luck
>

> John Read
>
> 1982 C&C 34

Thanks for your help.