Thank you all for your ideas.

I tried judicious use of PB Blaster (overnight) and prying from topside. Turns
out the "deck fitting" is four pieces: two upright "U" shapes that hold the
horizontal pin and a rather thin SS sheet under the U's. The pin has shoulders
on both ends that prevent its withdrawal until the bolts are withdrawn.

I was able to wedge one the U's up about the thickness of two putty knives, but
then things are a bit cock-eyed, and still resisting mightily. The bolts must
be carriage bolts, yes.

We are launching in 3 days. That leaves no time for fouling up, so I decided to
wait until fall, and buttoned everything up to go sailing. I like the idea of
pulling up from the top with centered C-clamp.

More news on this in October/November.

Adrian Humphreys
Epilogue, Rockport ME
C&C 33-2