I've determined the main on my 27 MkIII is actually sized for a MkII. So,
P=29ft vs 31ft and E=9.5ft vs 10ft ... which explains why I could never
fully hoist to the upper black mark. No idea how old the main is. It has a
couple patches. It had some stitching redone about 10 years ago and
converted to loose foot at the same time. I recall the loft mamager
inspecting it and making several comments at the time, for example on
batten pockets, along the lines of "we haven't done things like that for
decades" ... so that gives some perspective on age, perhaps.

Now I've come across a very decent main for $400 CAD, but it's for a
Newport 28. The Newport has a P=32.5ft and E=10.3ft. But I think this
particular one measures a P around 32ft. Regardless, a bit bigger than
ideal. So I have it from the seller to test fit. I'll see if I can get it
into one of the local lofts to be checked out.

Thoughts? Drop the boom a bit? Get it recut?
Thanks for your help.
Stu