On my 30 MK I (hull #79, 1972), the galley sink drain Ys into the starboard
cockpit drain, but upstream from the seacock (which is actually a gate valve -
bad, I know).  The Y is high enough that I don’t think it’s below waterline.

I’ll want to redo the drain someday because the seal from the sink to the pipe
drips a bit.  But given how little I use the galley sink - mostly to catch
empty beer cans thrown below from the cockpit - it’s not an urgent high
priority project for me.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
SV Grenadine
C&C 30 MK I #79
Ken Caryl, CO

> On Feb 8, 2024, at 3:38 PM, Alexander Netherton via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Hello All
> I have a C&C 30 Mk 1, a fine old boat that has a history of different owners.
>  Recently, we had a very cold snap with temperatures hitting the – 12to – 16
> range. A good stress test for the boat’s plumbing for sure.  To make a long
> story short, I need to know how the galley sink drainage ought to be
> configured on this boat.  You can read more for detail, or simply respond.
> All information will be appreciated.
>
> ….  In the aftermath of the cold snap, I found that there was some seepage
> from the galley sink.  And there I found an odd configuration. The 1.5-inch
> drain was stepped down to a 1-inch diameter hose that ran into the drainage
> for the cockpit.  There a Y fitting was screwed into the seacock (a 1.5-inch
> diameter) that allowed the 1-inch drainage from the sink to drain into that
> seacock.  The lip onto which the 1-inch sink drain line attached itself was
> pitifully short—about 1 inch, and below the water line. Not very safe and a
> configuration that can not fully drain the sink.
>

> The upshot is that I have to change the galley sink drainage system. The C&C
> 30 Mk 1 owners manual gives no details on this—but it does show that the
> cockpit and galley sink drainage are separate systems.  The local chandlery
> folk advise me to install a new  drainage thru-hull (with a gate valve)
> between the bottom of the sink and the waterline, to ensure that it drains
> properly.   But this is a wide margin leaving me without a precise idea of
> where to put the thru-hull. And I am not sure whether I need an elbow under
> the sink--or how that ought to be configured.
>

> Can anyone tell me how the gally sink drainage was handled by C&C at the
> outset. Are there any specs or design principles that I could use to help me
> pinpoint these positions or design the new system?
>
> Your help will be appreciated.
>

> Best,  Alex Netherton
>
> Dulcibella, Nanaimo BC
>

> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and help
> me pay the associated bills.  Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu

Thanks for your help.