Personally, I think sailing to polars can be challenging.  I prefer to
use VMG.  VMG rules for windward/leeward race courses!  Bear with me on
this.

First, a couple of definitions used by Touche's Nexus instrument system.

Velocity - speed and course
VMG - velocity made good wind based.  The velocity directly upwind or
downwind.
WCV - waypoint closure velocity.  The velocity made closing on the set
waypoint

Okay, if your instrument calculates VMG (wind based), simply steer the boat
to maximize VMG.  Done!

If your instruments do not calculate VMG (wind based), here's how to get
your GPS to closely approximate it.  First, many GPS systems show VMG which
is actually WCV when a waypoint is set.  If you set the upwind (or
downwind) mark as the waypoint, WCV will incur more error as you approach
the layline.  Visualize it.  As you approach the layline, your WCV will
decrease to zero as you near 90 degrees to your course to the mark.  (If
you overstand, WCV will turn negative as you've sailed past your mark.)

So, set a waypoint 10 miles directly upwind or downwind of the race mark.
Now your GPS WCV will closely approximate VMG (wind based).  Steer to
maximize WCV and your course(s) to the mark will be optimized.

--
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83