Scott Henson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:26:16 -0500, owen.m...@interactivedata.com wrote:
>
>> My 2c: This sounds like a fabulous idea to me.
>>
>> On a similar note, the power stuff in Cobbler is a great idea. One think I
>> don't like about it is the "lowest common denominator" aspect. Both the
>> power management systems we use (Avocent nee Cyclades ACS, and Dell DRAC
>> aka IPMI), support an atomic power-cycle. DRACs even support soft- and
>> hard-resets. Cobbler takes the "LCD" approach and implements "reboot" as
>> "power off; wait; power on".
>> How do people feel about "reboot" being re-implemented at a higher level,
>> and leaving the "poweron;poweroff" only for the devices that require it?
>> That could set the stage for implementing automatic PXE in a much less
>> ugly way than I've done it (via a custom Power Management Type and a
>> horrible shell script).
>>

> Yeah, I would love to have someone go in and flesh out the power
> management support a little better.  Currently it is ok, but it could be
> much better.  As for automatic PXE, I believe some IBM RSAs even have a
> pxe at next boot option.  People could also set pxe as the default boot
> device and do pxe just once in cobbler to boot off the hard drive.
> There is lots in there that we could move to a more automated way of
> deploying machines, which is what the deploy feature from 1.6 was
> doing.  I think bring it back would be a nice thing to have for many
> people.

I know that I've implemented restart as not being "poweroff;wait;power
on" on multiple system types (rackables, hp servers, and IBM blade
centers)over the years.
Something always would come up at some point that would make me revert
the process back to reset=poweroff->poweron.

Implementing reset usually doesn't save any more than a few seconds or
so per reset. The time may be better spent working on something else.

My $0.02

Michael-