Hi James,

Thanks for the review.  I'll look integrating it deeper into the core of
authn unless I hear anyone raising concerns on this.  The major reason I
did it this way was to ensure that users using the existing version weren't
going to get stuck with an incompatible config file after an upgrade, but
I'll take another dig into it and see if I can come up with a safe way to
stay backwards compatible.

Although with your authn_pam module I'm not sure the chainloading function
would be as useful as we could overlay it internally on the system with
pam's fallback mechanism.

I was also thinking of extending the authn return to be a tri-state similar
to postfix's address verification service. I was thinking it would be a
ladder type fall through, but at any stage a module could return (ok,
unknown, or fail)  so user names that are correct, but have the wrong
password wouldn't fall through to a future authn module.  Any other
thoughts on overlapping usernames? How do others feel about this in general?

Are there any other custom authn plugins out there?  (not looking to share,
just want to see if I'm missing other edge cases)

Thanks,

James