On 04.04.2012 [17:39:24 -0500], James Cammarata wrote:
> >> Does this still happen if you use the cobbler trigger to set
> >> netboot-enabled to false? Not sure if that's a valid option for
> >> whatever OS you're building or not but take a look at the
> >> kickstart_done snippet.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand entirely. I have 'pxe_just_once' set to 1 in
> > my /etc/cobbler/settings, and that does nicely unset the netboot enabled
> > flag for the systems that are net-installed. However, the problem I saw
> > (and I can try and test without my changes to re-confirm this) is that
> > the DHCP server is still configured to respond over the network when
> > this flag is changed (by default), so the netbooting machine gets a DHCP
> > response, but the netboot environment no longer exists, and we fail. But
> > system firmware is so dumb in this instnace that it just cycles there,
> > rather than failing over ...
>
> Interesting, what it should be doing is creating a PXE file but with
> the only option being to boot from local disk. Maybe that doesn't work
> for ppc64 systems?

Yeah, I don't think that's how netbooting works in general. Basically,
once we have a netboot configuration (either hard-coded in the SMS menus
or discovered via DHCP), we tftpboot yaboot, and then yaboot goes and
looks for a yaboot.conf (or per-MAC address configuration, if present).
yaboot itself is what does the kernel/initrd netloading. So i think what
happens is DHCP says 'hey go load yaboot', and we perhaps load yaboot
(as it's globally present in /var/lib/tftpboot) but then there is no
corresponding per-MAC address configuration, so we fail to find a kernel
to load (installer or otherwise). And since there is no yaboot.conf
found, we don't have an easy way to fallback to the disk (which has its
own yaboot, etc.)

> >> Forcing a full sync every time a system changes the netboot-enabled
> >> flag is probably not a good solution though, as this is a very
> >> time-consuming operation for cobbler installations with a large number
> >> of distros/systems/profiles. Unfortunately, ISC's dhcpd doesn't have a
> >> great CLI command option so doing dynamic updates doesn't seem to
> >> work, unless someone can point me to some good docs on the subject.
> >> Everything I've found says the CLI management tool is spotty at best.
> >
> > Would it be possible to perhaps add a 'dhcpsync()' variant of sync that
> > only ensured the DHCP configuration was updated (with the above chnage
> > to ensure netboot disabled servers weren't listed)?
> >
> > If not, I'm happy to carry the above chagne locally.
>
> I would accept a patch for that, I could see it being useful to
> regenerate the dhcp config without doing a full sync.

Sounds good, I'll start working on the changes. Do you prefer all
changes to come as pull requests?

Thanks,
Nish

--