I started testing this the other day, as a kind of proof of concept:

https://github.com/jimi1283/cobbler/tree/mysql

I am going to go ahead and merge this into master if anyone is
interested in testing it. The schema is quite simple, and the general
structure should work on just about any SQL database out there:

http://pastie.org/4329642

The password is hard-coded in the module right now, so if you change
it in the above schema be sure to change it in serializer_mysql.py
too.

So, what's the goal here? My intention is to enable better HA setups
by having the data stored in an alternative backend, possibly even
master/master setups. To that end, I will be working on solidifying
the mysql/mongo backends for production use with 2.4.0, and possibly
others. I'm really interested in adding support for postgresql,
especially 9.2 which introduces the native JSON field type.

Enjoy!