I ran across this tonight, and thought I'd send an email out in case
others run into it in the future.

I noticed that trying to create an object (for example a system) was
failing when there were no other objects of that kind stored in
cobbler. I tracked the issue back to a feature we introduced in 2.2,
where an object's fields were updated only if the field value changed.

I've corrected the issue, which will be included in the next release.
For now, if you run into this issue I believe you can fix it by
manually deleting all of the files in the sessions directory
(/var/lib/cobbler/webui_sessions/ by default) since that is where the
cached field information is stored. A sign that you're running into
this issue is a log message in cobbler.log similar to this:

INFO | add_item(profile); ['']

Notice the empty string - that should be the object name. The field
info is stored in a hash, where the key is "type_name" (for example:
profile_test1), so theoretically if you add an object, then delete it,
then recreate it with the exact same name you could theoretically run
into this too, where fields are not updating like you'd expect.
Overall, I'm noticing some name space pollution in the session, so I
may work on cleaning that up in the near future.