On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 12:47, Gerhardus Geldenhuis <
gerhardus.geldenh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> This page:  https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/CobblerApi states:
> As of version 2.0, BootAPI is *not* the recommended way of interfacing
> with Cobbler. It directly modifies the config store in a way that may not
> be safe. Furthermore the modifications made will not be visible to
> cobblerd. The
> CobblerXmlrpc<https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/CobblerXmlrpc> interface
> should instead be used until at least version 2.2.
>
> Is this still true? Or can we use BootAPI now?

This is still true.

> Is there anyway to get error messages back when using xmlrpc? The
> https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/CobblerXmlrpc page references
> https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/CobblerExceptions but it does not
> exist any more. I want to know if actions were successful or not. I suspect
> error checking is better done with the api hence my question.

I'm not sure personally.  I want to say I saw errors that I could deal with
when using the xmlrpc, I just don't recall the format.  I just pulled a
small snippet that is the only error checking I did against the xmlrpc.
here it is:

           try:
                cobbler.modify_system(sysid, 'modify_interface', int, token)
            except xmlrpclib.Fault, e:
                print "system %s errored trying to add %s interface"  %
(system, interface)
                print e

not great, but hopefully it helps.