On Friday, February 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Javier Domingo wrote:

> El 10/02/2012 14:48, "Michael DeHaan" <michael.deh...@gmail.com
> (mailto:michael.deh...@gmail.com)> escribió:
> >
> > The DHCP server does not work as you say -- the actual request for the MAC
> > specific file is done by pxelinux.0,  making a TFTP request to known file
> > paths.
> >
> Ok
> > I don't understand the need for "it just has DHCP features" or "one line
> > configs", since we support some options that ALSO have DHCP features (ISC,
> > dnsmasq) and cobbler mostly configures both of them for you once you get
> > them initially set up.
> With Just DHCP, I intended to point that I just want to use that DHCP server
> for making netboot. I am deploying cobbler in a home network, and I cannot
> point second server parameters nor pxe ones, just can make MAC<-> IP
> associations, which I don't mind pointing to cobbler. As I am going to just
> have the cobbler/pxe server powered on when I want to make installations, I
> can't/don't want to put features that might be done by the router. That is
> why I didn't want to put dnsmasq.

for purposes of installation, cobbler makes MAC/IP associations without using
the DHCP management module.

that is, you don't need an additional server to say "this MAC shall boot this".

> My idea was to keep it simple, that is why I chose bootpd package.
> Configurations are single lined, and I think they are quite simple.

I'm not clear on what you were implying wasn't simple :)

> After all, I suppose that I was being selfish. I had a look into the dhcpd
> and it seems that you can configure it to _just_ reply to specific MACs'
> requests. My intention is to have a system the less intrusive possible in the
> network

I don't think you need a DHCP server in your case.  You just need your router
to say to the PXE clients what next-server to go to.