On 07/04/2012 12:13 PM, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
> I am pretty new to this, as in I started working on this last night, so
> I imagine there are some things that I am overlooking. The basic issue
> is getting EFI to PXE boot properly with a cobbler controlled DHCP server.
>
> There is a very old ticket that is here:
> https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/ticket/567#no1, if the cobbler devs are
> still looking for a person with an EFI system, well here I am :).
>
> It looks like the EFI files are copied over as part of the cobbler sync
> and placed into tftpboot/grub, so that piece is in place.
>
> The DHCP template doesn't at this point seem to allow for EFI PXE boot
> except in the case of an ia64 system, so I had to modify it to output
> the following, which works on a RHEL 6.3 dhcp server:
>
> ddns-update-style interim;
>
> allow booting;
> allow bootp;
>
> ignore client-updates;
> set vendorclass = option vendor-class-identifier;
>
> option pxe-system-type code 93 = unsigned integer 16;
>
> subnet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>      option routers             10.0.0.1;
>      option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.2;
>      option subnet-mask         255.255.255.0;
>      range dynamic-bootp        10.0.0.10 10.0.0.254;
>      default-lease-time         21600;
>      max-lease-time             43200;
>
>      class "pxeclients" {
>           match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) =
> "PXEClient";
>           next-server 10.0.0.1;
>
>           if option pxe-system-type = 00:02 {
>                   filename "ia64/elilo.efi";
>           } else if option pxe-system-type = 00:06 {
>                   filename "grub/grub-x86.efi";
>           } else if option pxe-system-type = 00:07 {
>                   filename "grub/grub-x86_64.efi";
>           } else {
>                   filename "pxelinux.0";
>           }
>      }
> }
>
> # group for Cobbler DHCP tag: default
> group {
>     host foo.example.com_em0 {
>         hardware ethernet XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
>         fixed-address 10.0.0.10;
>         option host-name "foo.example.com";
>         option subnet-mask 255.255.255.224;
>         option routers 10.0.0.1;
>     }
> }
>
> This is borrowed heavily from here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_UEFI_pxeboot.
>
> Fine, I receive the grub prompt with the appropriate listing from
> install images. At this point it attempts to load the files, but nothing
> really happens, so that is as far as I have made it.
>
> Would it be possible to incorporate the above into the default cobbler
> dhcp template? It would seem to be a pretty decent solution to my
> untrained eye.
>
> Is there a reason why the filename and next-server should be specified
> for every fixed-address? It is fine if there is I just couldn't figure
> out how to set those via cobbler itself. Perhaps those are there for
> support of ia64?

> [...]

In a reply to my own message the hang on PXE boot appears to be a known
problem with no solution, see here:
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2011-November/045603.html

As for the rest of it, could we get something like that rolled into the
DHCP template for cobbler? In my testing switching between BIOS and EFI
it has worked well thus far.

-Erinn