On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:37 AM, Stuart Sears <stu...@sjsears.com> wrote:
> On 24/08/12 09:18, Mark Christian wrote:
>>
>> I would like the append line in PXE conf to look like:
>>    append initrd=/images/cent5.6/initrd.img,/images/cent5.6/dd.img
>>
>>    ...note the dd.img file is included along with the standard initrd.img
>>
>> I maintain certain older releases on new hardware, and being able to
>> inject a NIC driver into PXE boot is helpful.  I don't see an obvious way to
>> accomplish this with cobbler 2.2.3.  Can Cobbler sync the 2 initrd's to
>> /tftpboot/images/$distro/ and template the needed PXE config?
>>
>> Example PXE install with 2 initrd.img:
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-single/Installation_Guide/index.html#sect-Preparing_an_initial_RAM_disk_update-x86
>

> yes, this is possible.
> I've had to do it myself - it takes a bit of fiddling/hacking though.
>
> bearing in mind that:
> 1. cobbler doesn't support multiple initrds directly
> 2. cobbler deletes everything in your tftproot on a 'sync'
>
> I managed this by putting the driver disk images in a different directory
> under /tftpboot (or wherever your root is) and editing the pxeboot templates
> in /etc/cobbler to manipulate the append lines for particular
> distros/profiles etc.
> These files are just templates like kickstarts and snippets so you can use
> cheetah instructions to manipulate the initrd= parts.

There is an option now that copies files to your TFTP directory for you:

--boot-files=BOOT_FILES

And then either use kopts/ksmeta or manually edit the templates as
Stuart did. The difficulty will be in the fact that you're modifying
the initrd option, which is generated in the $append_line variable.
You'll probably have to write some cheetah code and do some string
manipulation in order to do what you want above.