On 09/10/12 13:53, Ron Yacketta wrote:
Current stumbling block is setting the hostname for Puppet.

You need to have something unique in the puppet certificate.

Incidentally, it doesn't absolutely have to be the system's hostname
profile label, plus some arbitrary text/number?

puppet node classification can use regex maps so you can assign nodes to
classes using the profile names if you want.

e.g.

node /mycobblerprofile-.*/ {
  # include stuff
}

We currently PXE / Koan profiles in a private VLAN and then move
them to a public VLAN with proper hostname , IP when they are ready
for production.

Do you have puppetmasters in production?
Can you not rerun puppet at that point to ensure all is configured appropriately?
I assume the private VLAN has its own DHCP/DNS?

Not sure how to properly setup puppet for our profile based installs
 another concern is after pushing to production it would seem that
another puppet / client change would be required.

You can also setup a 'default' node for the core classes/modules you want to use for all hosts. Doesn't allow for different profiles.

Your systems will still need some kind of hostname.

Going to take a bit to wrap my head around this one :)

You may be missing a little bit of required infrastructure

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.
"It's today!" said Piglet.