From: David Lee [mailto:david....@ecmwf.int]
Sent: September-19-16 11:32 AM
To: cobbler mailing list <cobbler@lists.fedorahosted.org>
Subject: [cobbler] Second DHCP network?

Cobbler folks,

RHEL6; cobbler 2.6.5 (yes, I know it's old!)

I have a feeling this ought to be a trivial question, but I can't find the
answer.

We have been using Cobbler for several years.  (Indeed, I've even contributed a
little to the documentation a few years ago.)  That usage has been over a
single "provisioning" interface on a single provisioning network (similar to
"10.old.0.0" with the server address "10.old.srv.addr" and that same value
being in the "settings" field "next_server:").  Very simple.  Works well.

We are adding a second such network over another interface ("10.new.0.0").
When I PXE boot a client (say "new-client") over this new network, the TFTP
stuff works fine.  But I then get "error downloading kickstart file" which
includes the URL of the server's *old* interface (on the original network).

When I do
   cobbler cobbler system getks --name=new-client

the output is full of references to the *old* network, instead of the new, such
as:

   # Use network installation
   url --url=http://10.old.srv.addr/cblr/links/rhel67-x86_64
   # If any cobbler repo definitions were referenced in the kickstart profile,
include them here.
   repo --name=el6-x86_64-local
--baseurl=http://10.old.srv.addr/local/el6/x86_64

That "10.old.srv.addr" should be the "10.new.srv.addr".

There are no references to the old address in the client's "system", or its
profile or the Cobbler "foo.ks" kickstart template.

Yet something, somewhere, somehow is clinging tenaciously to the old network.

The "dhcp.template" contains:
   subnet 10.old.foo.0 netmask 255.255.252.0 {
     next-server                $next_server;   <-- presumably using the
"next_server" from "settings"
   }

   subnet 10.new.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {
     #next-server                $next_server;
     next-server                10.new.srv.addr;   <-- explicit reference to
new network's server address
   }

The "/etc/cobbler/settings" file still has:
   next_server: 10.old.srv.addr
but we want to keep this for the time being to continue to serve our existing
estate.

Any clues, please?

If the answer is "not available in 2.6.5 but is available later", then I'll set
about planning an upgrade.

-- David Lee
-- ECMWF