Cobirders:

A Turkey Vulture soared over our home at 1200 Stover St. in Fort Collins at
about 4:00 pm on the afternoon of Thurs., Feb. 26, 2008, then continued north a
short distance where it circled around the site of the former roost on East
Elizabeth before disappearing from view.

In view of the total of 10 days of extraordinarily warm weather since Jan. 31,
this could have been a migrant bird. Also, it could have been the straggler
reported from Loveland and Boulder several times this winter. We should know
within a week whether the vuiltures have returned. Last Tuesday, Feb. 24th,
there was none at the Mountain/Washington roost.

Fort Collins arrival dates for the last seven years have been:

2003 - Mar. 29

2004 - Mar. 31

2005 - Mar. 24

2006 - Mar. 28

2007 - Mar. 22

2008 - Mar. 20

If today's observation is followed by others within the next few days, then
arrival date will be 22 days earlier than the earliest in recent years.

Alex Cringan,

Fort Collins 80524