Hello,

Today while in Denver, I spotted an adult Cooper's Hawk gathering sticks below
a small group of tall spruce trees in the Park Hill neighborhood a few blocks
east of the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. She then flew up into one of the
trees, hopping upward from limb to limb until she reached a dense place along
an upper branch, which looked to me to be a nest site. I watched for about 15
minutes as she fussed around this area, presumably arranging nesting material.

I say she because, looking around in the other trees, I spotted a much smaller
Cooper's perched about 10 feet away --  presumably a male. It was interesting
to see the difference in size between the two.

I read in the first Colorado Breeding Bird Atlas book that Cooper's females are
up to 1/3 larger than males (a greater difference than other hawk species), and
this fit with what I observed. The difference was much greater than in the pair
of Kestrels that nest near my house and the Bald Eagles I used to watch at Barr
Lake. Until now, I've not seen this fact mentioned -- my field guides don't
touch on it.

The Atlas II manual gives a safe date of April 1, so I guess these birds are
right on time.

I showed the hawks to the homeowner, who was really pleased to have hawks
nesting in his front yard. I've seen Cooper's in that neighborhood several
times in the past two years but didn't realize they nested in residential areas.

Cheers,

Margie Joy
Pueblo West, CO