Hello all!

While birding with Barb Patterson's Avian Conservation class yesterday
at the (private) Swift Ponds east of Fort Collins, the class (about 30
students) viewed a large hawk with very very distinct white stripes
perpendicular across the top of its wings.  Bill Miller was with us
and he identified it as a Red Tailed hawk based on the tail, but he
admitted that he was not quite sure because of the incredibly bright
stripes.  We jokingly decided that it was a cross between a Red Tailed
and a Common Nighthawk because the stripes were nearly in the same
place along the top of the wings.  The tail was not distinctly red per
se, but was minimally banded such as a juvenile Red Tailed.  I wish
that I had my camera because we got some great looks at it and would
have been able to get some good shots as well.  Any Thoughts on this?
Has anyone else seen bright white perpendicular stripes on the top of
Red Tailed hawk wings?  Is this a common "between molts" coloring?
Thanks!

Matt Webb
Fort Collins