Yesterday 4/15, had a tree swallow checking out the birdhouses, heard a
canyon wren,

Had golden eagle way overhead, and had a bear come through mid day.

In cleaning out the 34 birdhouses I have up, I found unusual nesting
material in a new,

Slightly larger house than Bluebird, with a 2 in hole (I was hoping for
a Hairy) about 9

Feet up on the side of a smallish dead ponderosa.   Inside the box was
about

1.5 inches of mostly pine needles with some VERY fine grass pieces.
I've had tree and

violet-green swallows, western and mountain bluebirds, pygmy and
white-breasted

nuthatches, house wren, kestrel, starling, house sparrow (once),
chipmunk, and maybe a

black-capped or mountain chickadee, but never seen any use of pine
needles before.

Any ideas, all you collected wisdom out there?

Davis

at 6,009 ft., 4 miles NW of Lyons, in open Ponderosa

"Faith is believing what you know ain't so"  Mark Twain