Since I couldn't join Todd and Tom on their trip to Durango because of
an appointment in Colorado Springs Friday, I headed southeast instead.

Friday night I heard at least one Black Rail at JJ and 17.5 in Bent
County along with many Sora, Virginia Rails and American Bitterns.

This morning I doubled back a bit and headed to Blue Lake (Bent/Kiowa).
Following roads all the way to the western shore on the county line, I
found one Sanderling in Kiowa plus a Bonaparte's Gull and a
Semi-Palmated Plover.  I doubled back to get to Lakes Cheraw and
Holbrook, seeing pretty much the same birds described by Bill Maynard
earlier.  Opted not to go to Meredith, and thus became one of the few
birders in the state not to see Brown Pelican today ;>)

Continuing south to Kim through La Junta, I had Western and Cassin's
Kingbirds,  Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and Bewick's Wren along CO 109 in Las
Animas County.  In Kim I had my only warbler species of the
day-Yellow-rumped.  Of more interest were the Pine Siskins still present
in the isolated SE town.  My Carrizo Canyon stay was far too brief, but
produced a couple of Eastern Phoebes and an Ash-throated Flycatcher.
There was a Hermit Thrush at the Springfield Cemetery.  Two Buttes has
sufficient water for lots of dabbling ducks and seven common shorebird
species.  Not much below the dam save for another Eastern Phoebe.  Final
species to be tallied was a Ferruginous Hawk as I was detouring to avoid
the stoppage on US 287/385  south of Lamar.  103 species for the day.

Bill Kaempfer

Boulder