Mark Peterson, Brad Steger, Cole Wild, and I birded Southeastern Colorado on
April 27th.

Some of highlights for each county follow:

Baca County:
Peregrine Falcon - 1 or 2 below Two Buttes Reservoir dam
Eastern Phoebe - 1 below Two Buttes Reservoir dam
Swamp Sparrow - 1 below Two Buttes Reservoir dam
Field Sparrow - 1 singing at Turk's Pond State Wildlife Area, north west of
Walsh

Prowers County:
Greater Scaup - 1 female Thurston Reservoir, north of Lamar
Mississippi Kite - 1 in the town of Lamar (the first I've seen in Colorado in
April)
Peregrine Falcon - 1 at Fairmount Cemetery in Lamar
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1 at Lamar Community College grove
Cassin's or Blue-headed Vireo - 1 at Lamar High School grove (this was a very
confusing vireo, it was either a brightish Cassin's or dullish Blue-headed) --
Cole photographed it, and maybe if his photos turn out, someone can figure out
what it is.
White-throated Sparrow - 1 at Lamar High School grove
Northern Cardinal - 1 female at Lamar Community College grove

Bent County:
American Bittern - 2 calling in marshes near Fort Lyon
Black Rail - few calling in marshes near Fort Lyon
Warbling Vireo - 1 at Hasty Campground
Black-and-white Warbler - 1 at Hasty Campground

Otero County:
Red-naped Sapsucker - 1 female in the town of Cheraw

Crowley County:
Ddin't see the Brown Pelican at Lake Meredith.

We saw a total of 19 species of shorebirds in SE Colorado in various counties
today.  They were scattered around here and there.

Good birding,

Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO