Hello, Birders.

Hannah and Andrew and I birded around Boulder County today, Friday, May 1st.
Highlights for us included 1 Glossy Ibis, 3 apparent Glossy x White-faced Ibis
hybrids, 1 probable Short-billed Dowitcher, 1 tantalizing Chaetura swift, and 1
Black-and-white Warbler. Other sightings included Wood Duck, Great Egret,
Black-crowned Night-Heron, Semipalmated Plover, Solitary Sandpiper,
Semipalmated Sandpiper, Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, and Long-billed
Dowitcher. Species seen in decent to great numbers at most or all stops
included Blue-winged and Cinnamon Teals, Western Grebe, American White Pelican,
American Avocet, Wilson's Phalarope, Audubon's Warbler, and Vesper Sparrow.
Violet-green Swallows and especially Chipping Sparrows were conspicuous and
abundant.

Here's the low-down:

For 15 minutes starting at 2:40 a.m. (sans Hannah and Andrew) I heard 6
Chipping Sparrows fly over Greenlee Preserve. The winds were southeasterly,
quickly shifting to northerly. I suspect the wind-shift is what caused the
great birds across eastern Colorado today; a southeast-to-north shift--with
precip to boot--is as good as it gets in spring in eastern Colorado.

Boulder Reservoir. We saw 375+ (!) Chipping Sparrows here, almost all of them
in the grass and sparse trees on the south shore of the reservoir; we also saw
400+ Violet-green Swallows. The north shore had a probable Short-billed
Dowitcher, but we couldn't induce it to vocalize, so I'm not sure. Also, 3
Ospreys and 250+ American Coots.

Lagerman Reservoir. 1 Osprey, 1 Semipalmated Plover, 1 Least Sandpiper, 3
Long-billed Dowitchers, 11 Franklin's Gulls, and our only Savannah Sparrow of
the day.

Walden Ponds. 1 Semipalmated Plover, 4 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 1 Western
Sandpiper, and 1 Least Sandpiper.

Valmont Reservoir. 12 Ruddy Ducks, 250+ American Coots, and 1 Rock Wren. It was
neat to see two different double-digit flocks of high-flying Chipping Sparrows
drop in (or "fall out") for a visit.

Teller Lake No. 5. 2 Great Egrets, 1 American Pipit, and 3 Brewer's Sparrows.

Prince Lake No. 2. In a flock of 84 earthworm-eating Plegadis ibises, 1
slam-dunk Glossy and 3 that looked quite intermediate--thus, hybrids, I assume?
Anyhow, great looks along the roadside. Andrew wanted to "save" the earthworms.
Hannah said the Glossy was "boring," which, in an objective sense, relative to
White-faced, is true. By the way, I saw one of the apparent hybrids defecate,
and it occurred to me to go procure a fecal sample for the hard-working folks
on the Colorado Bird Records Committee...  :-)
Also at Prince Lake No. 2, in a large flock of swallows (all 6 species) over
the lake's surface was a Chaetura swift with a pale throat and a pale rump; it
looked small, but that could have been wishful thinking. But here's a much more
tantalizing point to consider: We *heard* it. I haveta say, those sharp,
shrill, well-enunciated chips sure sounded good... Finally, there was another
nice real-time Chipping Sparrow fallout here.

Greenlee Preserve. 1 female Black-and-white Warbler--the first warbler we saw
here, and my first for the site. Also 8 Wood Ducks, 1 Pied-billed Grebe, 1
Black-crowned Night-Heron, 1 Solitary Sandpiper, 3 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, and
4 Orange-crowned Warblers.

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Please support the American Birding Association: Click on
http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=884482 to search the internet.

Every search provides support to the ABA's programs in Education, Conservation,
and Publications.

Please visit the website of the American Birding Association: http://www.aba.org