Hi all,

On my way home from RMBO training this morning, I found a Lucy's Warbler in
Rabbit Valley. I originally heard a warbler singing that I didn't recognize
(I am rusty on my warbler songs, so I cannot confirm whether it was a nearby
Virginia's or the Lucy's) and saw a warbler fly from the cottonwoods,
joining another *Vermivora* and a pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. I then got
my initial look at the bird with a Virginia's Warbler, and, upon pishing,
had the Lucy's land three feet away from me! I believe the bird is a male,
as it had a very noticeable chestnut/rusty crown, and bright (same color)
rump patch as well.

DIRECTIONS: From exit 2 on I-70, head south, crossing the cattle guard into
rabbit valley. Take the first right to the southwest (should be a wide, two
level dirt road that narrows shortly thereafter). Stay on this road and turn
off on the second road to the south. This is a rough road on which high
clearance is recommended, as denoted by a sign at the turn off. This is the
last turn before the Rabbit Valley Campground. Take the road south past a
sheep trailer, through a wash, through a canyon, and stop at the first
parking area with an outhouse. From here, hike down the canyon until you
find a gigantic pothole about ten feet deep with water in the bottom. About
ten feet downstream from here is a small patch of 4-6 cottonwoods, where the
bird was found. This location is .5-1 miles from the parking area.

Good birding,

--
Jacob Cooper
Mesa County