Thanks for all the pointers.

It does seem like a black tern (I'd guessed that from the book but
didn't know if any terns fed like this.) Sadly it wasn't seen the next
day or two (once the may fly hatch thinned out) so I doubt it is there
now.

Also, I failed to remember (until I just re-reviewed the book on the
two) but the bill was noticeably long/thin, so I believe a Virginia
Rail.

Thanks for the help!

regards

Adam