I spoke with the fellow who saw this bird a couple of days ago. It was on
the "river trail" that goes thru the town of Telluride, CO. He described the
 black body, black and white striped head and the red crest. The only
anomaly is  that he thought it was about the size of a flicker. It was pecking
like a  woodpecker on some rather small limbs of a willow, not on a fat trunk
or  limb.
He is a non-birder, with an interest in the world around him and owns a
field guide. While we were on the phone, he looked up drawings of Red-naped
Sapsucker and thought that the putative Pileated was NOT a sapsucker. He
lives  right on the river trail and will be watchful, camera at the ready, as
will a  few of his friends whom he has told to be watchful.  There would be no
 problem with a number of birders checking this out, as the river trail is
a  well-travelled public space. He is not a publicity seeker, I can confirm.
He will phone me at once if he sees it again and I will post on Cobirds and
 WSBN at once. This is the closest we have been to adding one of these
beasts to  the CO list and I hope that it pans out.

Your faithful correspondent, Joe Roller

PS   In contrast to my occasional joking around, this post is as  serious
as a Christian Scientist with appendicitis.
**************Cooking Dinner For Two? Sign Up & Get Immediate Member-Only
Savings.
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222652750x1201460983/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215225797%3B37274671%3Bq%3Fhttp:%2
F%2Frecipes.cookingfor2.pillsbury.com%2F%3FESRC%3D934)