Today as we returned from a hike to Lake Haiyaha we found a
ptarmigan feeding just off the trail above Nymph Lake. It was in
full summer plumage and seemed unconcerned about the folks who
stopped to watch. We've never seen them this low. One man
insisted it was a wild chicken. Also, on the upper part of the
trail near where it levels out in a climax forest we heard a
chorus of Swainson's thrushes in all directions calling and
answering, a symphony of flutes.

Joan Dawson

East Boulder