Hi everyone,

Saw an interesting thing this morning -- for a couple of months I've been
keeping an eye on a couple of families of Burrowing Owls in Lake Pueblo State
Park. They hang out quite near the road and are not spooked by cars, so are
easy -- and fun -- to watch.

Went by this morning to check on them and noticed one of the youngsters pulling
at something as if eating it. A closer look showed that it had a medium-sized
snake -- a very dead one, as it wasn't moving at all -- and was pulling bits
from the end that used to be the head while two of its siblings watched. Looked
like hard work to get a few bites.

After about ten minutes, the young owl picked the snake up in one foot, hopped
one-legged with it to a prairie dog burrow about 3 feet away, and carried it
down into the hole. I don't know what kind of snake it was -- it was not
strongly patterned, fairly dark grayish-olive on the top and paler on the
bottom, and maybe three feet long (what was left of it).

Checking in a couple of books after I got home showed Burrowing Owl diet
consist of insects, rodents and lizards, but no mention of snakes. Anyone know
how much of their diet might be snakes?

This was my third snake encounter of the morning, not counting the large
recently-shed snakeskin (likely a bullsnake) in the back yard.

Other things seen near the reservoir -- several Lark Sparrows singing their
wonderful songs, and an Osprey fishing at West Fishermen's Point who finally
caught a small fish and flew away with it.

Cheers,
Margie Joy, who likes snakes just fine
Pueblo West, CO

Marjorie Joy