Hello, Birders.

Here's a recap of the Boulder Bird Club outing held earlier today, Saturday,
Aug. 15th, at Walden Ponds, Boulder County. We had more participants (59) than
bird species (52). With the south winds continuing (will they ever let up?),
there are hardly any migrants about. Anyhow, are a few highlights from the
outing:

2 Wood Ducks. Walden Ponds is just about the most reliable spot in the county
for the species.

2 Green Herons. Walden Poinds is just about the most reliable spot in the
*state* for the species, it seems.

1 big ole Osprey carrying a fish. A crowd pleaser.

1 Black-chinned Hummingbird. Gosh, this is gonna make me sound like a Boulder
oldtimer, but there do seem to be more of them than there used to be. The
species now seems broadly but thinly distributed during the summer months
across the eastern Boulder County lowlands. Wonder if this is a permanent thing
(Bushtits, collared-doves) or if it's just a temporary thing (Cassin's Sparrows
of 2009, I assume).

15+ Eastern Kingbirds. A few local residents, perhaps, but also, I suspect, an
influx of migrants.

6 swallow species, all lined up on wires, with both juveniles and adults
present. Great opportunity for study.

1 flyover Chipping Sparrow and 1 flyover Lark Sparrow. As I said, virtually no
migrants.

Plus, the usual suspects on a pleasant summer morning at Walden: Blue-winged
Teal, Pied-billed Grebe, White-breasted Nuthatch, Gray Catbird, Blue Grosbeak,
etc.

Well, a "pleasant summer morning" till the very end, when, back in the parking
lot, we caught up in a dramatic downburst. Fun!

Thanks to everybody for a great outing.

-------------------------------

Ted Floyd
tedfloy...@hotmail.com
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado

-------------------------------

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Please support the American Birding Association: Click on
http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=884482 to search the internet.

Check out the American Birding Association on FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22934255714

Check out the American Birding Association on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/abaoutreach

Please visit the website of the American Birding Association:
http://www.aba.org