Hello everyone,

While out working in the grasslands south of Boulder this afternoon (1-2 pm), I
found a flock of at least 6 MCCOWN'S LONGSPURS near the Coalton Trail. There
were likely more. While driving on the Coalton Trail, I spotted a HORNED LARK
that made me wonder about Longspurs. I got out of my truck and started walking
through the grasslands (off limits in all areas except with a special HCA
permit, but especially off limits in this area because of breeding Burrowing
Owls) and within 45 seconds I kicked up a Longspur. Then two more, then three
more, etc. I'm not especially good at Longspur flight calls, but these were
certainly liquidy, finch-like notes, not buzzy rattles. One source describes
McCown's as having a finch-like note. However, the description of a
Chestnut-collards two-syllable "kiddle" seems, in reading, to be about what I
heard. But, I had good looks at most of the birds in flight and they all
sported the McCown's tail pattern, and the one little lady who I hunted down on
the ground was clearly a fat-billed McCown's. Photos of that bird will be up on
my Flickr site momentarily. There were also two LARK BUNTINGS in the area. And
a whole lot of what I think were Leonard's (Pawnee) Skippers.

To get to this area, turn east off of Hwy 93 onto Hwy 128. Drive for about two
miles and then park at the gate on the left (north) side of the road a little
ways past the entrance to the wind-turbine study area. This gate represents the
beginning of the Coalton trail, which goes east from here, and the Greenbelt
Plateau Trail which goes west. A hike along either of these trails would give
one the best chance of finding a longspur. The prairie dogs in this area have
all died this summer, probably from plague, so out of respect for the owls and
your health, stay on the trails.

Christian Nunes
pajaro...@hotmail.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/christian_nunes/