When I lived at 9,000 ft in the mountains on the northern edge of Golden
Gate Canyon State Park, a flock (50?) of Sandhill Cranes landed on a full
moon night in the meadow just south of the house at ~1 am.  The noise was
deafening and woke us up!
Where were these birds headed?  (I think it was early October)

I, too, enjoy hearing about all interesting reports of both common and
uncommon birds.

Paula Hansley
Louisville