I was hoping to see the 3,200 sandhills cranes reportedly flying around
here, but I never seem to have that kind of luck.  Robin Hoover and I went
over to Walden today via Baseline Res.  At Baseline we saw the typical
Cormorants in the docks and a handful of Pied-Billed Grebes.  At Walden's
Cottonwood Marsh we saw the same grebes, American Coots, Wigeons and Ring
Necked Ducks.  At the Bass lake we saw 2 Kingfishers having an argument and
then we wrapped around to the bridge going under 75th to find the Dipper.
He was there and we got to watch him/her dipping for a bit.  We saw another
Kingfisher over there as well as a Kestrel (ohhhh) and  Red-Tailed Hawk
(ahhhh).  On the way back cutting through the field of solar panels and
walking along the side of Cottonwood Marsh, we saw 8 mountain bluebirds.  I
was hoping for more, but I was pleased to see the Dipper down here in
October :)  I am hoping for a flock of cranes on my way to work in the
morning :)

-Julia Bond
South Boulder