It was cold, windy and glum this AM in Lamar (Prowers) and cleared about 4 this
afternoon.

Highlights today:

Thurston Reservoir north of Lamar:

The same set of birds as 2 days ago, essentially, nothing rare, pelican and
cormorant remain.  Also saw a pair of Clark's Grebes, one quite a bit bigger
than the other, perhaps a parent and young born at the site.  Late Turkey
Vulture battling the wind.

Riverside Cemetery (east of Main on Maple Street):

One big group of yellow-rumps, waxwings, and robins, all picking at psyllids on
trunk bark, on leaves, and within witches'-brooms of hackberry.

Lamar Community College Woods:

RED-SHOULDERED HAWK (1 young bird)  seen very well sitting on powerline
overlooking ditch at the very north end of the woods and then flying at various
places along the north half of the woods, generally working the trees along the
west side of Willow Creek).  Plump buteo, somewhat bigger than Broad-winged,
somewhat longer-tailed.  Pale crescents at the base of the primaries seen very
well, otherwise fairly nondescript, with dark upper body speckled with white,
black malar stripe, brown tail with many darker brown bands, thought I got a
glimpse of reddish in the shoulder area but if it's there, it's just a hint.
Glides with distinctly bowed wings.  Missing one or more primaries.  Janeal
Thompson also saw the bird.

PURPLE FINCH (1 juvenile, I think Eastern race) seen about midway along the
woods (due east of the north end of the student cafeteria building)  eating
seeds of giant ragweed, lots of photos obtained at close range

White-throated Sparrow (1 adult tan-striped form)

Swamp Sparrow (heard)

Northern Cardinal (1, possibly 2 heard)

Marsh Wren (heard at least 2)

Wood Duck (1 pair)

Belted Kingfisher (1)  somewhat unusual for Willow Creek

Fairmount Cemetery:

EVENING GROSBEAK (1 flying, calling bird seen again)  hard to believe it is the
same individual on multiple days at widely distant locations within Lamar, but
maybe it is  (after listening to wave files sent to me my Nathan Pipelow (thank
you) I am pretty sure the bird is giving the flight call type expected in this
area (as opposed to PacNW or Eastern)).  Interesting that Bill Maynard had some
at Chico Basin Ranch recently.

Total for Lamar 10/17-10/22: 91 species

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins