Hi all,

Jesse Brauch and I went down to Chatfield Reservoir today to search
for the Parasitic Jaeger found there on Friday by Joey Kellner. We
found it in the noon hour after just a few minutes of searching at the
marina - or rather, it found us, because I first spotted it flying in
quickly from the north towards the spit across from the marina where
we were standing. It harrassed a few gulls nearby that were none too
happy about it, and Jesse got several photos of the close-up
interactions. We then lost it, but refound it about 15 minutes later
just north of the marina, flying about and providing great looks at
the flight feathers and undersides. It plopped down into the water to
relax for a bit and bathe.

We also found a few Common Loons on the reservoir, which is not
surprising in itself, except that at one point a relatively close one
quite unexpectedly gave its characteristic haunting wail call. It was
repeated once several minutes later. I don't think I'd heard a loon in
the wild before, ever, so it was particularly exciting for me. We also
encountered a Merlin at Chatfield perched atop a cottonwood, which
then took off in furious pursuit of something unseen.

We then headed to Marston Reservoir to look for the interesting loon
that has been seen there lately. After searching vainly from Wadsworth
Rd on the west side for a bit, we then angled our way blindly through
the residential area to the bird sanctuary on the SW side of the
reservoir (I'd never been there, nor had I planned sufficiently to
know where I was going). Nevertheless we found a good viewing spot and
after a few minutes we found a very interesting loon indeed. Although
distant, viewing conditions were very good.

This loon showed distinctly white flanks persistently, not just from
some momentary belly roll, but over the course of several minutes. The
white flanks were visible even with our relative low viewing angle.
The bird appeared to be in a relaxed state, but with its head up
allowing for continuous study. What struck us was the contrast in
light and dark on the head and neck, showing no sign of a partial
collar or post-auricular smudginess. We also never detected any light
markings near the eye.The bill wasn't always easy to discern, but
upper and lower mandibles seemed roughly the same in size and shape.
In sum, the bird seemed to us to be a very viable candidate for Arctic
Loon. Jesse took a number of digiscoped photos, and hopefully at least
a few of them will bear out some of these observations.

Lastly we visited Standley Lake. We found 7 loons, all in the middle
of the lake generally hanging around a large group of Aechmophorus
grebes. One of these loons definitely bore a resemblance to the
juvenile Yellow-billed Loon described by Nick Komar yesterday, but
having never seen a juvenile before, we were unsure just how
lighter-shaded and browner the upperparts would appear on one in
comparison to a Common Loon. We were not able to see prominent
scapular fringing on this individual, although the bird did seem to
show a distinctly large, yellowish bill at multiple angles of viewing.
So in the end we thought we may have seen the bird in question, but
are tentative in calling it a Yellow-billed due to concerns about not
seeing lighter-brown upperparts.

In any case, a very enjoyable birding day with 31 species in all- not
a large quantity, but very good quality.

--
Eric DeFonso
Fort Collins, CO