Greetings,

Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory will be accepting counts of Barrow's
Goldeneyes again this year from 20 November through 28 November (includes
this weekend and next). This will be the eleventh year of the count!  This
is not a statistically rigorous endeavor, but it should provide insight into
whether or not Barrow's Goldeneye populations are taking a rapid severe
crash.  We would like to concentrate on counting all of the Barrow's
Goldeneyes in Colorado, however, we would appreciate a full species list
with counts for each for the waterbodies that are counted.  Also, if
participants could enter their count totals into the eBird web site that
would be much appreciated.  Please let me know if you would like to help
with the count and/or if you would like me to e-mail datasheets to you
(datasheets are not required to participate).

Here are the lakes that have had the bulk of Barrow's Goldeneyes on past
counts and will hopefully be visited the next two weekends:

Bear Creek Reservoir – Jefferson County

Blue Lake – Eagle County

Blue Mesa Reservoir – Gunnison County

Clear Creek Reservoir – Lake County

Dillon Reservoir – Summit County

Eleven Mile Reservoir – Park County

Grand Lake – Grand County

Horsetooth Reservoir – Larimer County

Ice Lake – Chaffee County

Jerry Creek Reservoir – Mesa County

Lake Avery – Rio Blanco County

Lake Granby – Grand County

Mount Elbert Forebay – Lake

North Pond Park - Summit

Ranch at the Roaring Fork Ponds – Garfield

Rifle Falls Fish Hatchery – Garfield County

Rifle Gap Reservoir – Garfield County

Shadow Mountain Reservoir – Grand County

Silverthorne Sewage Ponds – Summit County

Spring Park Reservoir - Eagle County

Stagecoach Reservoir - Routt County

Steamboat Lake – Routt County

Taylor Park Reservoir – Gunnison County

Union Reservoir – Weld

Vega Reservoir – Mesa County

Yampa River (near Craig) – Moffat County

Here are the totals for each year of the count:
1999 – 226 at 8 sites
2000 – 107 at 16 sites
2001 – 181 at 20 sites
2002 – 189 at 16 sites