Hello, Birders.

Hannah and Andrew and I visited several lakes around Longmont earlier today,
Saturday, Nov. 21st.

At McIntosh Lake, Boulder County, we saw 1 White-winged Scoter, probably a
first-cycle female. The bird was keeping company with the big flock of
mergansers and goldeneyes near the north shore of the lake. Other birds at
McIntosh included 29 Eared Grebes, 12 California Gulls, and 1 Herring Gull.

At Union Reservoir, Weld County, we saw 1 juvenile Common Loon near the
northwest shore of the lake. Also of interest were at least 65 Clark's Grebes
still lingering--what is it about Union and Clark's Grebes?? And we saw 81
Red-breasted Mergansers, a new record high count for Weld County; the previous
high count of 75, also from Union, was set just 2 weeks ago by Cole Wild. Other
birds at Union: 28 Eared Grebes, 2 Bald Eagles, and 18 Western Meadowlarks. The
meadowlarks were on a train!

At Panama Reservoir, back in Boulder County, we saw a late aggregation of 132
American White Pelicans. And a staggering 105 Eurasian Collared-Doves, easily
demolishing George Tomasevich's previous Boulder County record of 30, set back
on Jan. 5, 2008, along US-287 south of Longmont (i.e., in the general area of
Panama Reservoir).

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Check out Birding magazine on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine

Please visit the website of the American Birding Association:
http://www.aba.org