Dear Cobirders,
        I stopped by Boulder Reservoir this evening and basically struck out
(one FOS American Tree Sparrow, that's it).  As a consolation, I
decided to swing by Dodd Reservoir on the way home and had better
luck.  I arrived just after 4 PM and the reservoir was packed with
Geese.  Three white Geese were immediately visible, one Snow and and
two Ross' Geese.  The majority of the Geese present were Cackling,
with a few Canada's mixed in.  To round out the diversity, one of
those ugly immature Barnacle x Graylag x Ross' x Cackling hybrids
similar to the mystery hybrids from Stearn's Lake last season was
present.  This bird was near to the shore and the parking lot allowing
close inspection (which only confuses the matter).  This bird was
slightly larger than the Cackling's it was associating with, had a
gray bill with no grin patch, mottled white and black neck, the body
feathers of a Cackling Goose and an all white tail.

Topographic sunset was at 4:24 in the parking lot and by that time,
most of the Geese had left to roost in the nearby fields.  I would
assume that early to mid-morning would be the best time to see the
Geese without fear of them up-and-leaving.  Also be aware that the act
of walking from the parking lot to the pond spooks the Geese here;
walk slowly and quietly and use the scope well before you think you
need to in order to keep the Geese nearby.

Cheers,
Walter Szeliga
Boulder, CO

--