Hello, Birders.

Hannah and Andrew and I birded around Boulder County this Thanksgiving
afternoon, Thursday, Nov. 26th.

At the point where the St. Vrain "River" crosses 63rd Street, we saw--and more
to the point heard--a Pacific Wren. The bird was with a flock of Pink-sided and
Slate-colored Juncos. It stayed pretty tight in a tangle of understory
vegetation extending from 40.196155N, 105.207924W to 40.196143N, 105.208173W.
The bird called constantly and responded well to pishing. Learn all about the
Pacific Wren at Nathan Pieplow's blog: http://tiny.cc/7Z2vl. It's a cool bird,
it's surely a valid species, and its call doesn't sound much like a Winter
Wren's. (I don't agree that its call note sounds like a Wilson's Warbler--or
any other warbler, really. To my ears, the call of Pacific Wren sounds more
like the call of Carolina Wren.) By the way, I actually think there were two
Pacific Wrens back in there; sure sounded like it, anyhow. (The habitat is
wonderful.) But I never saw more than the one bird at a time.

Over at Lagerman Reservoir, we saw the Long-tailed Duck discovered last week by
Bill Schmoker.

And at McIntosh Lake, we saw a few Bonaparte's Gulls still lingering, a bunch
of moribund gizzard shad, and Nick Komar and Cole Wild.

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Check out Birding magazine on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine