Bob Righter periodically sends us an historical gem; here's one that appeared
in the Nov. 23 2009 issue of High Country News, attributed to a 1995
publication, just reissued, by Fred Quartarone, who interviewed 111 old-timers
about endangered Colorado River fish, "Historical Accounts of Upper Colorado
River Basin Endangered Fish." Web site: ColoradoRiverRecovery.fws.gov

"Chuck Mack, of Craig, Colo. tells that, during the early 1950's on the Green
River near Lodore Canyon: He watched as baby cliff swallows--eager to leave
their nests--flapped their wings hard but often flopped down into the water.
'Every big squawfish in the Green River must have migrated to the canyon to
feast on the swallows because we sure caught a lot of them. We managed to land
a lot of 10 to 20 pounders (and) everyone that we gutted out had a stomach
plumb full of baby swallows!"

Hugh Kingery

--
Colorado Field Ornithologists: http://www.cfo-link.org/