Hi cobirders, A beautiful day to go to Red Rocks.  About 2:30PM and
over 50o f clear and calm.  I sat in my Rollator on the lawn
behind the trading post with the sun off to the left.  I looked at
the feeder above the tiny frozen pond surrounded by dirt and a
variety of shrubs.
  The Western Scrub Jays came and went. About 8 Black-capped
Chickadees or more  were busy.  House finches came to the
feeder and nearby.  A few Juncos fed on the ground.
The immature Golden-crowned Sparrow showed up in with them and
scratched the ground hopping back as it did so.  It was
easy to identify as it had the start of some yellow gold on its
forehead.
A Spotted Towhee made an appearance for several minutes in the same
area.
Then a most clean looking bird came up over the rocks and looked down
on the frozen ice. Didn't stay long.
Still I was able to see it well. 3 light brown stripes on its head. A
well defined white throat patch. Chest had black stripes
that stopped evenly before its white belly and it had a small black
square patch in the center.
It was a first year White Throated Sparrow.
I spent an enjoyable half hour or more there two days before winter
begins.
Bob Spencer

--
Colorado Field Ornithologists: http://www.cfo-link.org/