Hello all,
   Field Trip coordinator Eric Defonso (and others!) has lined up an
incredible variety of field trips for the coming months. this list is long
but thought you'd like to see the whole line-up so you can plan ahead. Hope
you can make a few of these great trips!

*January 1 (Friday) Loveland Christmas Bird Count. Compiler: Connie Kogler *
Welcome to another year of Christmas Bird Count! PLEASE Pre-register, it
helps tremendously with planning. We are looking to make this the best
Loveland count ever, so please sign up!. All levels of birders are welcome
to join this growing CBC. We have a variety of interesting habitats
including; plains agriculture, suburban ornamental landscape, reservoirs and
lower Rocky Mountain foothills. Highlight species include Trumpeter Swan,
gulls, waxwings, and sometimes a Northern Pygmy-Owl. Contact Connie Kogler
at zbluehe...@gmail.com for more information on how to participate!

*January 9 (Saturday) Winter Mountain Birds. Leader: Connie Kogler*
 Join Connie on a winter birding trip! We will meet at the Starbucks on
Eagle Dr. in Loveland (SW corner of Taft and SW 14th) at 7:30 a.m. and car
pool from there in appropriate vehicles. Our first stop will be the town of
Ward, Co. to scope out winter birds at feeders in and about town. Then off
to check the feeders at Fawnbrook Inn, Allenspark. Then we will make our way
to Estes Park and visit several winter hotspots there. This will be an all
day trip with some walking or hiking involved. Please be well prepared for
the weather!! I would like to arrange for the drivers in advance, so please
contact me if you want to drive. Only blizzard like conditions will postpone
this trip. We will stop for a hot lunch at a restaurant in Estes Park.
Expect to be back in Loveland late afternoon. To sign up, contact Connie at
zbluehe...@gmail.com.

*January 9 (Saturday) Weld Raptor Search 8:30 a.m, Leader: Gary Lefko*
 Join the "Nunn Guy" on a trip around Nunn and beyond. We'll do some raptor
routes I've designed. Meet at Nunn Cafe on southside of Nunn along Hwy
85--come earlier for breakfast! RSVP to the "Nunn Guy" (Gary) at
lefk...@coloradobirder.info or 970-897-2454.
January 10 (Sunday) Bobcat Ridge Natural Area Bird Survey. Leader: Denise
Bretting.  7:00 am.
FCAS performs a monthly bird census for the city of Fort Collins. All levels
welcomed and encouraged! Info: dbrett...@swloveland.com, work: 669-1185, or
home: 669-8095.
*
January 16 (Saturday) Running Deer/Cottonwood Hollow Half-Day Trip. Leader:
David Leatherman *
Meet at the Running Deer parking lot by the outhouse on Prospect Road in
Fort Collins at 8:30 a.m., and perhaps be done by noon. Target birds with a
slim (but not impossible) chance of being found would be marsh wren,
northern shrike, western meadowlark, wintering rails, swamp sparrow,
Harlan's hawk, American tree sparrow.  We would pay attention to all
creatures and hope to see white-tailed deer and maybe mink.  Snow would be
possible on the ground and falling out of the sky and the walk would be 2-3
miles. daleather...@msn.com for more info.

*January 27 (Wednesday) Denver Museum Plus A Tour Of The Bird Collections.
Leader: Eric DeFonso *
Meet at the Transportation Center parking lot just west of the Harmony
Rd/I-25 interchange for a planned 8:30am departure, returning around 4pm.
Museum admission is $11 for adults, $6 for students and seniors 65+. We'll
carpool to Denver and spend a day at one of the finest natural history
museums in the country, with a special bonus - a rare hour-long guided tour
of the bird specimen collections! Just to be clear, these are not live
birds, but specimens collected in Colorado and beyond that are used to
scientifically document the composition, distribution, and ecology of birds
worldwide. Bring a lunch or buy one at the museum cafe. yoer...@yahoo.com or
call 472-1761 for more info.

*February 6 (Saturday) Boulder Area Birding. Leader: Ted Floyd*
 Join Ted Floyd, editor of Birding magazine, for a leisurely morning of
birding around Boulder County. We'll go where the birds are! Meet at Walden
Ponds, and we'll go from there. If there is open water on the reservoirs,
we'll check it out. If not, we'll bird the foothills, feeders, and riparian
strips. Dress for the weather, expect to do some carpooling, and get ready
for lots of fun. Contact Ted Floyd by e-mail for meet details:
tedfloy...@hotmail.com.
*
February 14 (Sunday) Bobcat Ridge Natural Area Bird Survey. Leader: Denise
Bretting 7:00 am*
 FCAS performs a monthly bird census for the city of Fort Collins. All
levels welcomed and encouraged! dbrett...@swloveland.com, work: 669-1185, or
home: 669-8095 for more info.

*February 21 (Sunday) Small Nocturnal Montane Winter Owls. Leader: Nick
Komar. Co-leader: Eric DeFonso.*
 (Note: This trip is scheduled during President's Day weekend, when many
people will have Monday off.) Join us as we head out into the winter night
to find Northern Saw-whet Owls in Rist Canyon and Boreal Owls up at Cameron
Pass. Both species begin their courtship calling in mid-winter, and
therefore should be as easy to detect as they can be. We'll be looking and
listening for these birds from the road primarily. We cannot guarantee that
we'll be able to get a visual on the birds, but our chances are improved if
we can hear them. This is a great opportunity to learn new things about
these mysterious birds which live near us year-round, yet so few people ever
actually experience. We will meet at 8pm, at a location to be determined,
and plan on returning to Fort Collins around 2am. Carpooling will be
required, to reduce potential impacts on the owls as they enter their
breeding season as well as simply ease transportation. If the weather is
uncooperative our backup day *may* be the following Saturday, February 27.
To sign up, contact Eric DeFonso by email at yoer...@yahoo.com or by phone
at (970)-472-1761.

All field trips are free of charge (unless otherwise noted) and open to the
public. All experience levels are welcome.  Participants should dress
appropriately for the weather. Bring snacks or lunch, water, binoculars, and
spotting scopes. Carpooling is encouraged. A $3.00 (unless otherwise
specified) contribution per passenger to the driver is suggested. Visit
www.fortnet.org/Audubon for more information. For all field trips and
surveys, please contact the trip leader for signup and trip details.

Hope you can make at least a few of these great trips!
Pat

Pat Hayward
FCAS Publicity

PO Box 41