Birders,
Jeannie Mitchell, her husband and I combed eastern El Paso County this morning
for the Snowy Owl but did not find it. Other birders were looking for it and
maybe they had better luck.
We saw numerous Rough-legged Hawks, Northern Harriers, a few Red-tails, three
Prairie Falcons, one imm. eagle, and one Ferruginous Hawk (Drennan Road).

Of interest to local birders, Jeannie spotted a longspur in a flock of Horned
Larks at the S-W corner of Elbert Rd and Latigo Blvd; scope views revealed
Lapland Longspurs.  There were at least 4 birds in the flock of Horned  Larks

Later in the afternoon we decided to go check another part of the county; we
saw a  beautiful Short-eared Owl on Tamlin Rd, the part of the road that runs
north-south, between the two sharp turns in the road. We first saw it on a
fence post on the east side of the road; it flew to the west where we saw it
again.

Jeannie took pictures of the birds and has authorized me to forward them if
anyone wants to see them.

Cecile Lee
Elbert, CO

--