(This post is really from me, unlike the one distributed earlier this week
from a spammer who hijacked my old email address)

Last week Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar
released<http://stateofthebirds.org>the State
of the Birds USA 2010 Report on Climate Change which was produced by a
highly  prestigious multi-organizational partnership under the auspices of
the U.S. NABCI Committee (Committee).  Built on the 2009 State of the Birds
Report that was led by the National Audubon Society, this year’s report is
built around a climate change vulnerability analysis of all the Nation’s
birds.   The lead agency this year is the U.S.Fish & Wildlife Service with
the following partners:  American Bird Conservancy, Assoc. of Fish &
Wildlife Agencies, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Klamath Bird
Observatory, *National
Audubon Society, *The National Fish & Wildlife Foundation, The Nature
Conservancy, U.S.D.A Forest Service, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and the U.
S. Geological Survey.  This Report plus information on the methodology
utilized is available at http://stateofthebirds.org

Following are highlights from the report that are specific to Colorado
birds.

”Birds in every terrestrial and aquatic habitat will be affected by climate
change, although individual species in each habitat are likely to respond
differently.” So they rate groups of species by their level of
vulnerability.  They found, not surprisingly, that those species that are
already considered as 'species of concern' are at higher vulnerability from
climate change and that finding was true for species in all habitats not
just those habitats that are themselves most vulnerable.

--Alpine and Arctic species are highly vulnerable to climate change.  As the
climate warms, trees and vegetation will narrow or eliminate alpine breeding
habitat for White-tailed Ptarmigan.  I have read that there are some studies
that have already found negative impacts from climate change on this species
which can go no further up the mountain peaks as trees are slowly climbing
higher up where they have never been found before.  Sharing that high alpine
habitat and vulnerability are Brown-capped Rosy-Finches, a species many who
live in mountain locations have coming to their feeders.

--Wetland breeding species--”A third of the 165 wetland breeding species in
the United States show medium or high vulnerability to climate change.”
Sadly so many of our historic wetlands have been degraded or destroyed so
there is already a serious reduction in healthy wetland habitat.  Wetland
bird species known to breed in our area include Western and Clark's Grebes,
Northern Harrier, Virginia and Sora Rail.

--Grassland species—Though not listed as having species at high
vulnerability to climate change, well over half are thought to be at medium
vulnerability.  Species such as Greater/Gunnison Sage-Grouse and Lesser
Prairie-Chicken are already in serious trouble and climate change will only
add to the risks for these species.

--”Forest birds show greater resilience than birds in most habitats”--but
many at medium vulnerability.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com