Roger Rouch and I did our second rotation for the RMBO volunteer crew
at the snow covered Dinosaur Ridge Hawk Watch today 3/20. Dave
Hinrichs joined in the morning and was rewarded by eye-level looks at
Peregrine Falcon, Ferruginous Hawk, and American Kestrel. The Juniper
Titmouse sang for several minutes atop a pine at the site. Mountain
Bluebirds were common along the ridge. The snow helped us pick-up
raptors flying against a foothills backdrop. A scope is very useful
for raptor watching.

We ended up seeing six species of migrant raptors totaling 11
individuals, including 4 Bald and 1 Golden Eagle. Plus 2 additional
local species.

A herd of 80 elk rested at the summit of Mattews/Winters Park nearly
all day.

Good Birding,

Scott Severs
Longmont

Location:     Dinosaur Ridge and hawkwatch site
Observation date:     3/20/10
Notes:     80+ American elk at top of Matthews/Winter Park, 4 mule
deer - Green Mountain, 3 - Matthew Winters Park.
Number of species:     27

Bald Eagle     4 (3 adl., 1 white-belly II)
Northern Goshawk     1 (local)
Red-tailed Hawk     10 (7 local)
Ferruginous Hawk     1
Golden Eagle     3 (2 local)