Last night (3/28) Sol Miller and I decided to headed up towards Cameron Pass
last night to try our luck at Boreal Owl. While on our way we saw an Osprey at
Namaqua Park in SE Loveland. We decided we would try to quickly see the
White-winged Crossbills in the Grandview Cemetery. We were able to watch the
female on the nest and also heard the male fly north from the same tree. We
also heard a group of Sandhill Cranes fly over and we also saw a Great Horned
Owl on a nest (owl number 1 for the trip). We started up Risk Canyon at dusk
and quickly found a Northern Pygmy-Owl in lower Rist Canyon sitting at the top
of an aspen, we watched it for about 15 minutes before heading on. Our next
stop was the parking lot at Joe Wright Reservoir, but when we got there the
wind was howling and we were not able to hear anything. We decided to try the
Jackson County side and there was no wind at all. Between the Moose Visitor
Center and the pass we heard at least 7
 Boreal Owls calling spontaneously, one of he owls we were able to see
the silhouette fly across the road, but we were not able to see it after it
landed. On our way back towards Fort Collins we had 1 Northern Saw-whet Owl on
the Pennock Pass road and another in upper Risk Canyon. Back in SW Loveland we
decided to try for Eastern Screech-Owl. We were not able to find any
screech-owls, but we heard 4 more Great Horned Owls. We ended up with 15
individual owls of 4 different species and every owl on the trip was calling
spontaneously. If anyone wants better details to the owl locations please
contact me privately.

Earlier in the day I had 2 White-tailed Ptarmigan by one of the pulloffs on the
Summit County side of Loveland Pass.

Cole Wild
Loveland