We must have had 80 Turkey Vultures roosting in the trees near our home in
the Aberdeen section of Pueblo this morning. Must be nearing the peak of
spring migration. Saw a FOY pair on March 25, which was later than previous
years. A pair of crows is building a nest atop a nearby spruce. They chase
the TVs around in the evening when they are wafting by in the wind before
settling in.

A pair of bushtits started a nest in a trellis in our backyard a few weeks
ago. I've not seen them this this week. They may have been discouraged by
the high winds, the crows, or perhaps the neighborhood cat. I do hope they
come back. I've never seen a completed bushtit nest.

At Ft. Carson yesterday, I saw my FOY Burrowing Owl and Mountain Plover.
They were in a very large prairie dog colony, where I also saw a soaring
Golden Eagle and a Swift Fox sunning itself on top of a burrow. Was glad to
see all these critters, given that the colony plagued out last year and pdog
numbers are drastically reduced. The few survivors look good, and hopeully
can begin the repopulation. The owls prefer to nest in active colonies and
the plovers require low vegetation, a service the pdogs happily provide.

Rick Clawges
Pueblo county and city