I've been intending to post..This morning in my very suburban Broomfield yard I
looked out the window and had a male Mallard (oh, wait-is it more properly
"drake"?).  I was surprised.  He was enjoying spilled seed under one of my
platform feeders..even made his way into my wee little bird pond.  There was
just enough room in the "deep end" for him.  He quacked at me as I came out to
go to work..but then one of my dogs chased him off.  He was seen again in my
driveway later in the morning-I'm hoping he comes back!

I've also had my fos Brown-headed Cowbird a couple of days ago.  I know most
people despise them-but they are beautiful and I love their liquid/electronic
vocalizations.

We have crows nesting in the evergreen tree outside my office window, a family
group that's been around since last season.  We also put up a flicker box on
the community clubhouse as there was a pair trying to nest in the walls of the
building.  We see this pair and Starlings in and out of the box-I hope the
Flickers succeed!  We also had a Prairie Falcon fly by our office on Wednesday,
spotted by my boss Kim.  I've almost got her completely hooked!

I'm really enjoying these springtime locals.  Colorado is an amazing place to
live!

Lauren

Lauren Burke
NOCO Wrenegade Charter Member