Out working near Burlington again I was able to hear a migrating
Sprague's Pipit (private ranch) singing its amazing song (a first for
me!) until a herd of steers stampeded where I hear it singing. The
pipit was not heard again.

This is the best time of spring to search for these pipits (mid/late
April - early May), especially in areas of native shortgrass prairie
on the eastern plains. It helps to know their sounds, I more often
hear them than see them in migration, usually be their call -
reminiscent of a robin call.

Still quite a few Roughies around, and Swainson's Hawks just starting
to work on nests. Flushed several flocks of Chestnut-collared
Longspurs and Vesper Sparrows. Ring-necked Pheasants benefited from
recent good climatic conditions, rosters were calling everywhere and
many road killed birds were seen - more than I had seen in recent
years.

Scott Severs
Longmont