Spent several very active hours at Bear Creek Lake Park (BCLP) this evening. Good assortment of ducks including all three teal, N. Shoveler, and Redheads. Also Western and Pied-billed Grebe. The Franklin Gulls seen in good numbers earlier in the week were nowhere to be seen.

Good numbers of Killdeer and Spotted Sandpipers plus a flock of 20+ peeps. They were a little too far for my binocs and I didn't have my scope, but after watching them feed I'm sure at least some were Western Sandpipers. They had that lanky look and their legs were placed behind the center of the body. The water is high in the lake and the peeps were on what is left of the sandbar off the north side of Pelican Point.

Good numbers of swallows with 6 species represented - Tree, VG, Rough- winged, Cliff, Bank, and Barn.

Warblers - FOS Orange-crowned; large numbers of Yellow-rumped, mostly male Audubon and Myrtle about evenly represented with only a couple of females.

Sparrows - FOS Green-tailed Towhee; good numbers of Chipping Sparrows; Vesper Sparrows (and House Wrens) have returned in good numbers; Spotted Towhees and Song Sparrows singing; still some White- crowned remaining in BCLP.

American Dipper and Cooper's Hawks have started sitting on their nests.

Overall, busiest day of the spring so far.

Mike Henwood
BCLP - Jefferson County
Morrison