I was at Walden this morning at 6:15 AM on the W side of the boardwalk at
Cottonwood.  I refound the bird seen yesterday by Walter Szeliga.  Eric Z
joined me and we spent 30 minutes watching the bird as it skulked through the
reeds, staying low the entire time.  While I found the complete white eyering
difficult to see for some reason, (although the white around the eye was subtle
and nothing like the strong white eye-arcs of a MacGillivray's), Eric was able
to see the eyering.  The demarcation between the gray hood and the yellow
belly, while pronounced, was not further demarcated with black, so the overall
contrast was softer.  The throat was a lighter gray and the yellow belly more
muted.  What I didn't mention when I later ran into David Waltman and group
looking for the bird, was that the short tail and stockier build further
separated this warbler from others in the genus.  It flew several times, always
staying low, flying no more than 20' one direction or the other.  The chip was
soft both in volumn and texture and used infrequently.  I feel comfortable in
calling it a Connecticut Warbler.  Yippee!!

Cara Stiles
Boulder, CO